A Digital Communicator II may be deployed to different types of locations – which can make no two assignments alike. You could be sent to a county radio room, public service events, or to real emergency incidents.
Assignments may include
- Command posts
- Damage surveys
- Event stations
Completion of Digital Communicator I
- ARES training or equivalent experience
- Packet radio with software
- Outpost Messaging
- Winlink 2K
- Demonstrated ability under field conditions to communicate via packet radio, including live chat, both connected and UNPROTO
- Send/receive messages from mailboxes with Outpost messaging, Winlink 2K email (via packet)
- APRS software with at least the ability to track other vehicles via radio. It is also strongly encouraged to have the ability to send one’s location via packet radio while mobile.
- Participate in Monday night nets at least twice a month
- Attend at least six (6) ARES meetings in a given year
- Participate in at least one activation or event each year